You may associate Deadwood with Wyatt Earp, Calamity Jane, and Wild Bill Hickok. But its actual claim to fame comes from the gold deposits discovered here in 1876, followed by the Black Hills Gold Rush.
What To See And Do:
- While you won’t find gold seekers, outlaws, and gunslingers, you’ll see Deadwood Alive. They are a theater troupe who reenact some major historical events, including the assassination of Wild Bill.
- This isn’t a ghost town because in 1989 gambling was legalized, so there are modern-day casinos and resorts.
- Visit the Broken Boot Gold Mine
- Skiers will want to check out Terry Peak
- Check out the Mt. Roosevelt Monument
- Mount Moriah Cemetery. Here yo can explore a late Victorian-era cemetery with the northern Black Hills as your backdrop.